Tuesday, October 15, 2013

1. First Day of the Rest of My Life

This is it. I am taking my first little step into a huge industry, the industry of adverting. It’s still pretty dark out there, and I was a little scared to step out, but now I’m confident to start exploring the new surroundings as I have a beam of light guiding me on my way – Idea Industry, a book that highlights all the possible career paths in advertising. I’m not yet sure what position I’d fit in best, but account planning sounds the most interesting to me. I love doing research and analyzing stuff. But the best and most enjoyable part is seeing random puzzles form one coherent picture. Bam! 

So how did I get here? Why advertising? Well, I have always been interested in anything art: painting, photography, writing, music, design, fashion...and advertising. Yes, I believe advertising is a true art form. It's the art of expressing and communicating certain ideas, values, and emotions in a creative way. I don’t know if it’s a good or a bad thing, but I’m a victim of good advertising. Whenever I see a great ad, it stirs so much emotion in me: I laugh; I cry; I contemplate; I get inspired; I get excited. It makes me respect the brand and its product. Then, I ask myself, why do I care? Why am I reacting to it this or that way? What is this ad’s secret ingredient that makes it so fascinating?

This is the reason I'm here. I want to learn about strategy in advertising and what the process of creating a successful ad or brand is like. Advertising is powerful. It can move and inspire people, change social attitudes and create new ideals, while being persuasive and prompting consumer action. It knows how to read and influence people’s minds. That’s what I want to be a part of. I want to get in the minds of people and find out what makes them tick. I want to make a difference. 

This is the beginning of a grand journey. 



This Toyota ad is one of my recent favorites. It's entertaining, inspiring, and ingenious, with a smart strategy behind it. Here, see it for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment