Saturday, November 9, 2013

9. Fashion Trends vs. Individualism

While browsing through over 100 fashion blogs I'm following via Bloglovin', I regularly come across very similar-dressed girls wearing the same fashion trends, like the Celine Luggage Tote, the Zara origami skirt, or the Valentino Rocktud Pumps, to name a few. To maintain their influence in the fashion industry, these bloggers have to get the newest, usually very expensive designer items as soon as they become available to the mass after fashion shows.
Fashion bloggers wearing the Celine Luggage Tote. Image via Fabsugar
Some of them try to look unique by styling the trendy item in their own way, but many of them are too preoccupied with the goal of incorporating as many current trends in their outfit as possible, the result of which can be ridiculous at times. There is one blog called Shit Bloggers Wear that pokes fun at the ubiquitous items worn by a lot of bloggers. Cecilia Doan, the owner of the blog, sketches these items if she sees them on different bloggers too many times.
Image via Shit Bloggers Wear
Image via Shit Bloggers Wear
Image via Shit Bloggers Wear
Image via Shit Bloggers Wear
I think what she's trying to say through her blog (and I agree with her) is that we shouldn't fall under the dominance of fashion trends and brands, and that it's important to preserve your individuality even if you are an avid faschionista. As I was growing up, my mother always told me that looking unique is key to success. What she meant was basically expressing your individuality through fashion.

As I got more interested in fashion and started following trends, I started to distinguish between fashion and style. For me, fashion is a constantly changing stream of trends promoted through the media, while style is your personal selective and unique interpretation of these trends. As my favorite fashion icon Coco Chanel put it, "Fashion changes, but style endures." It's easy to blindly follow ever-changing trends, but not everyone has a sense of style. I think for anyone who follows fashion it is important to pass a trend through your own prism of style and alter it in accordance with your mood and individuality, rather than adopting it in its raw form for the sake of being cool and looking identical to millions of other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment