There are six major holding companies in the advertising industry:
1. WPP (owns Ogilvy & Mather, JWT, etc.)
2. Omnicom Group (BBDO, DDB Worldwide, etc.)
3. Publicis Groupe (Publicis, Leo Burnett, etc.)
4. Interpublic Group (Campbell Ewald, MRM Worldwide, Huge, etc.)
5. Project: Worldwide (Partners+Napier, Juxt, etc.)
6. MDC Partners (72andSunny, Crispin Porter + Bogusky, etc.)
Browsing through the news about holding companies, I found that Publicis Groupe and Omnicom Group have recently agreed to merge, creating the world’s largest advertising company with $23 billion in revenue and thus toppling WPP. However, the merge may be pushed back into the second quarter of 2014 due to some regulatory approvals in Russia and the EU.
I also found a cool infographic that gives a good sense of the current holding companies' structure and provides some historical and factual context. Besides the aforementioned companies, the infographic also includes Havas and Dentsu, which are a little smaller, but still could be included in the list of major holding companies.
*Click on the link below the picture to expand it.
|Click on this link to expand|